In central India, surgeons operated on a thirty-year-old who complained of stomach upset. In their abdomen they found 33 sharp objects. The man in question suffers from Pica syndrome, a severe eating disorder.
The spectacular history of Yogesh is reported by the Daily News and Analysis (DNA India), an Indian English newspaper.
Needles, screwdrivers and razor blades
This 30-year-old from the Chhatarpur region of Madhya Pradesh went to a private hospital because of severe stomach pain. Supported on site by the doctors, he complied with various medical examinations, including an X-ray.
The latter has brought to light the pain that Yogesh actually suffers from: Pica's syndrome. Indeed, what was the surprise of doctors when they discovered in the stomach of their patient sharp and sharp objects such as a pencil, needles, wire, screwdrivers, razor blades or even leather.
Transported to the emergency room, Yogesh was operated on July 17th. The surgery, which lasted 2 hours, revealed that the man had swallowed 33 dangerous objects. It was their accumulation in his stomach that caused this "unbearable" pain he complained about. The outcome could have been fatal, but Yogesh is now out of danger, assured the doctors.
What is Pica Syndrome?
Pathology unknown, Pica syndrome is a severe dietary disorder that is characterized by the sustainable ingestion (over a month) of non-nutritive and inedible substances: earth, chalk, sand, paper, plastic, white lead, hedge, diapers, cigarette ash, etc. The pica can be benign, or on the contrary put in game the prognosis vital.
Indeed, this impulsive consumption of various substances can lead to various complications, including intestinal obstruction, perforation with peritonitis, airway obstruction or heavy metal intoxication. Deficiencies or malnutrition are also possible.
In the majority of cases, Pica's disease is symptomatic of a psychiatric disorder, and may be associated with mental retardation or pervasive developmental disorder (PDD). Psychotherapy may be needed to treat it.